League Update 34
LJW Update – No. 34
Wishing you all a very Happy Chanukah
We finally heard the wonderful news that a vaccine is ready and that the first members of the public have already received their first dose.
Here is the list giving the order in which we can expect to have this vaccination – although it needs to be said that plans can change on a day to day basis
At the moment, a timeline for when each group will be vaccinated has not been set, as the UK only has access to a limited number of vaccines currently.
However, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) priority list for vaccination is as follows:
· Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
· All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
· All those 75 years of age and over
· All those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
· All those 65 years of age and over
· All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality
· All those 60 years of age and over
· All those 55 years of age and over
· All those 50 years of age and over
All this, in time for Chanukah. What a wonderful gift for mankind.
If you type into your browser – Boris wishes Jewish Community Happy Chanukah – you will hear his message. There is also one from Jeremy Corbyn. Take your pick!
LEAGUE BOOK CLUB
The League Book Club meeting was held on Monday and a very interesting discussion was had on the book A Woman in Jerusalem by A.B. Yehoshua. It is fascinating to hear different opinions on the same book.
The next book has been chosen by Ros Barclay from the Newbury Park Group and is The Dressmaker’s Gift by Fiona Valpy. Our next meeting will be on Monday, 18th January 2020. If you wish to attend, please let me know.
As we decided to have the following choice available, Sally Bass from the North West Region has chosen Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell.
Here are some of the other books discussed which you may wish to investigate.
Legacy: One Family, a Cup of Tea and the Company that took on the world by Thomas Harding
Becoming by Michelle Obama
A year at the Circus by Jon Sopel
House of Glass by Hadley Freeman
Burnt Sugar by Avni Doshi
The Confession by Jessie Burton
Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain
The Island and the sequel One August Night by Victoria Hislop
The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer
If you would like to attend any of the meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org who will put you in touch with the Group Chairman to confirm your attendance. This procedure is purely for safety reasons so that only League members will be able to attend.
ICJW – Human Rights Day Seminar – Monday, 14th December 2020 – 2pm
If you haven’t received the Zoom information, please let me know asap.
League Book Club – Monday, 18th January 2021 at 3pm
- Tuesday 15 December at 8pm – Virtual Chanukah Party. Ian Hardman (who entertained the Pinner group before and was their Bingo caller) has kindly agreed to sing.
- Tuesday 12 January at 8pm (to be confirmed) Simon Gurevitz on ‘Why You Can’t Believe The Numbers’.
If your Group is having a Zoom meeting and you would like to have other League members attend, please let us know.